2007-08 BM1: Session 11
Questions the tutors collected
- What does "viz" mean in Robinson Crusoe?
- What does "Victorian bardolatry" mean?
- The Elizabethan world picture and the Jacobean period. When did the change take place, what was significant, how is it reflected in Shakespeare's work?
- Restoration comedies - what were the characteristics and what was the reaction they provoked
- Sentimental comedies and tragedies - were they simultaneous, what kind of tragedies do we subsume under this term?
- What do the terms "prose fiction" and "fiction" refer to?
- Recaptitulate the different versions of the "Rise of the Novel" as explained in lecture 5.
- What did the terms "novel" and "romance" mean - in the context of Defoe's Robinson Crusoe (1719).
- The chart on the blackboard given at the end of the last lecture should be looked at again.
- Explain the model of communication you gave in several of the lectures.
- 1750 - can this year actually have been such a watershed?
- Is the "post" in postcolonial the same as in postmodern? How do these periods relate to each other?
- What does the term "transcendental homelessness refer to?
- What does the "order of fictions" mean?
- The diagram of different sorts of fiction around 1700 should be explained again.
- The table of the different topics the literary discourse adopted should be recapitulated.