2008-09 BM2 Introduction to Anglophone Cultural Studies, Part 1

From Angl-Am
Jump to: navigation, search

Introduction (Meyer) Oct. 15, 2008

Diasporas (Meyer) Oct. 22, 2008

From Anglo Saxon Raids to Global Anglophone Culture (Simons) Oct. 29, 2008

Harbingers of Freedom, Democracy and Civil Rights? (Simons) Nov. 05, 2008

Religion (Simons) Nov. 12, 2008

An Economic History of the English Speaking World (Simons/McPherson) Nov. 19, 2008

Technology and Knowledge (McPherson) Nov. 26, 2008

Media and the Public (Meyer) Dec. 3, 2008

Representations of Justice (Simons) Dec. 10, 2008

Some websites to browse

Key Concepts of Cultural Studies (McPherson) Dec. 17, 2008

The Construct(edness) of Traditions (McPherson/Meyer/Simons) Jan. 07, 2009

Written Exam, Jan. 14, 2009

Cultural Icon(s)/Iconology (Meyer) Jan. 21, 2009

  • Christina Meyer. Icons ppt file password protected, contains copyrighted visual materials

Round-up, Evaluation, New Perspectives (McPherson) Jan. 28, 2009


The tutorials have their own page at 2008-09 BM2 Tutorials


  • Alexander, Jeffrey C. and Steven Seidman, eds. Culture and Society: Contemporary Debates. Cambridge et al.: Cambridge UP, 1990.
  • Bové, Paul. Mastering Discourse: The Politics of Intellectual Culture. Durham, NC: Duke UP, 1992.
  • Boyer, Paul S., Clifford E. Clark, Jr. et al., eds. The Enduring Vision: A History of the American People. Concise 4th ed. Boston & New York: Houghton Mifflin Company, 2002.
  • Brantlinger, Patrick. Crusoe’s Footprints: Cultural Studies in Britain and America. New York: Routledge, 1990.
  • Clifford, James. The Predicament of Culture: Twentieth-Century Ethnography, Literature, and Art. Cambridge, MA and London, England: Harvard UP, 1988.
  • Geertz, Clifford. The Interpretation of Cultures. New York: Basic Books, 1973.
  • Hartley, John and Roberta E. Pearson. American Cultural Studies: A Reader. Oxford et al.: Oxford UP, 2000.
  • Holtkamp, Wolfgang. Rediscovering America: New Approaches to American Culture. Stuttgart et al.: Metzler, 2001.
  • Jenks, Christ. Culture. Key Ideas. Series Ed. Peter Hamilton. London & New York: Routledge, 1993.
  • Marchart, Oliver. Cultural Studies. Konstanz: UVK Verl.-Ges., 2008.
  • Nünning, Ansgar and Roy Sommer, eds. Kulturwissenschaftliche Literaturwissenschaft: Disziplinäre Ansätze –Theoretische Positionen – Transdisziplinäre Perspektiven. Tübingen: Gunter Narr, 2004.
  • O’Sullivan, Tim. Key Concepts in Communication and Cultural Studies. London et al.: Routledge, 1995.
  • Rohr, Susanne, ed. Making America: The Cultural Work of Literature. Heidelberg: Winter, 2000.
  • Saldívar, José David. Border Matters: Remapping American Cultural Studies. Berkeley et al.: U of California P, 1997.
  • Williams, Patrick, ed. Colonial Discourse and Post-Colonial Theory: A Reader. New York, NY et al.: Harvester Wheatsheaf, 1993.

Portfolio Requirements

The Portfolio for the entire module (parts 1 and 2) includes 4 items:

  • Portfolio requirements for BM2, Part 1: Lecture -- 3 KP:
  • 1 Written Test (40% of the final mark) -- January 14, 2009.
  • Portfolio requirements for BM2, Part 2: Practical exercises -- 3 KP:
  • 3 Assignements (60% of the final mark) (Week 4, 7, and 10 of term)

Note Participants of the previous BM2 module are requested to take the second course of practical exercises if possible, so that they will combine practical and theoretical work.

  • They can take the present Winter term at 40% and have their previous results count 60%
  • They can attend the summer term practical courses at 60% and make their previous work count 40%
  • They can do the upcoming winter term written test at 40% add a research paper outline of 20% (talk to us about topics) and combine these 60% with their previous work rated at 40%.