2010 AM The Modern ELT-Classroom, Th 8-10
- Lecturer: Wolfgang Gehring
- Language tutor: Lindsay
- Time: Thursdays, 8-10am
- Venue: A10 1-121 (Hörsaal F)
- 1 Week 1 - April 08, 2010
- 2 Week 2 - April 15, 2010
- 3 Week 3 - April 22, 2010
- 4 Week 4 - April 29, 2010
- 5 Week 5 - May 06, 2010
- 6 Week 6 - May 13, 2010 - Ascension - No Class
- 7 Week 7 - May 20, 2010
- 8 Week 8 - May 27, 2010
- 9 Week 9 - June 03, 2010
- 10 Week 10 - June 10, 2010
- 11 Week 11 - June 17, 2010
- 12 Week 12 - June 24, 2010
- 13 Week 13 - July 01, 2010
- 14 Week 14 - July 08, 2010
Week 1 - April 08, 2010
Research in EFL
- Poster Session (examples)
- Research paper
- How to elicit data (examples)
For next week:
- Application: What do the curricula say? (Please have a close look at the core curriculum for class 5 Hauptschule/Realschule and Gymnasium). Be prepared to comment on a) the learning outcomes, b) the level, and c) how textbooks implement the outcomes (find a sample from a unit of your choice).
Week 2 - April 15, 2010
Research in EFL
- defined the terms "standards", "competence", "can-do descriptors"
- analyzed and commented on the core curriculum for grades 5/6
- defined the role of grammar/pronunciation/lexics in the core curriculum
- described the theoretical underpinnings of CeR
- commented on the lesson plan "food-words" for Gymnasium grade 6
For next week:
- Action Item: Rewrite the lesson plan "food" by contexualizing activities in all phases.
Week 3 - April 22, 2010
Concepts of communicative competence
- We will discuss your version of "food"; comparision with lesson plan 2
- Definitions of standards, curriculum, ...
- Implementation of core curriculum in textbooks: a) communicative competences, b) methodological competences, and c) differences in implementation of GeF in German curricula
- Discussion of alternative version of "food" lesson. Focus: more learner orientiation (contextualization, continuity, playful activites (see last page of download FOOD in stud-ip)
- Methodological competence: definition, categories (core curriculum Niedersachsen), and samples
- AI: Lesson plan food 2: a) evaluation of methodology, delivery, activities, communicative level and b) evaluation of activities that can be classified as aiming at methodological competences
For next week:
- Please identify and describe elements/activities/objectives in LP 'food2' that support methodological competence.
- Outline 1-3 additional activities that foster strategies and/or techniques for building up one's methodological competence.
Week 4 - April 29, 2010
Types of communicative lesson plans
- Evaluation of food2-lesson plan (focus on development of communicative and of methodological competences)
- Impulsreferat: Features of communicative competence
- Comparison of various approaches to communicative lesson planning (Hecht/Waas/Ziegesar/Ziegesar, zoo plan, which can be found in stud-ip): How is the plan sequenced? What types of activities are there that foster interaction? Try to categorize the types of activites (e.g. controlled, less controlled, uncontrolled, or: listing, ordering.....). For one sequence in the lesson plan, please outline an alternative (see link).
- Evaluation of food2-lesson plan (with a focus on the development of communicative and methodological competences)
- Comparison of concepts of communicative competence (text based)
For next week:
- Please compare individual definitions with Brown, Doý, Piepho (visualization appreciated)
- Describe levels/categories of competence (according to Brown, Doyé) that are initiated or fostered in LP food 1 and LP food 2
Week 5 - May 06, 2010
Action Item: Design a learning task that supports learning outcomes in the core curriculum for classes 5/6 or 7/8
Action Item: Write a) objectives and b) learning outcome for a unit of your choice.
Action Item: Outline three different tasks that cover the content of a unit of your choice Source: OFZ (Österreichisches Kompetenzzentrum)
- 1. Task: a) (You can) compare individual definitions with Brown, Doý, Piepho (visualization appreciated) and b) (You can) describe levels/categories of competence that are initiated or fostered in LP food 1 and LP food 2.
- 2. Impulsreferat: You can define learning outcomes
- 3. Principles of Bildungsstandards: You can explain the structures and intentions of Bildungsstandards (Kultusministerkonferenz).
For next week: See action items for week 7 and please bring a textbook to class (Sek I or Primary level).
Week 6 - May 13, 2010 - Ascension - No Class
Week 7 - May 20, 2010
Action Item 1: Please design a learning task that supports learning outcomes in the core curriculum for class 5/6 or 7/8.
Action Item 2:: Please write a) the objectives and b) the learning outcomes for a textbook unit of your choice.
Action Item 3: Please write a learning task that supports the development of a writing standard (see worksheet).
Please bring a textbook to class (Sek I or Primary level)
Impulsreferat: Differenzierung/Individualisierung See link
Task: 1. What forms of individualization can you find in textbooks/in lesson plans? 2. T what extent do methods in the chart support differentiation and why?
Action Item: Collect criteria for good language teaching according to the website compare with link Develop a checklist
SAI: Outline a questionaire for collecting data on how teachers assure quality in their teaching see link
Week 8 - May 27, 2010
- Please outline a working definition of differentiation that focuses on foreign language learning.
- Collect a list of procedures that support differentiation in the ELT-classroom.
- Go through 2-3 units of a modern textbook of your choice and list activites in which differentiation is achieved.
Impulsreferat: Vocabulary teaching; Texts: Richards/Rendnya, Section 11
Action Item: How is the teaching of vocabulary being realized in lesson plans (see 4 teachers.de or englische-fachdidaktik.com chapter 15). Choose at least 3 different plans for analysis.
Week 9 - June 03, 2010
Action Item: How is the teaching of vocabulary being realized in lesson plans (see download 5 on stud-ip)
- a) Techniques of introducing the new words
- b) exercises and tasks
- c) transfer/application.....
- Please also comment on the ways individualization is achieved
Texts: Richards/Rendnya, section 11
Activity in class: Developing a questionaire. How do teachers deal with vocabulary in class? See also Gehring, Englische Fachdidaktik, Berlin 2010, chapters 11, 15, 19
Week 10 - June 10, 2010
Vocabulary strategies in textbooks
Task: Please develop a questionnaire for researching strategies of vacabulary learning among ELT-student. Please also bring the textbooks to class.
Week 11 - June 17, 2010
Teaching language based
Week 12 - June 24, 2010
Teaching task based
Week 13 - July 01, 2010
Teaching content based
Week 14 - July 08, 2010
Individual counselling (poster session, action items)